Thursday, July 09, 2009

Gifts 2 Due Out in September


Exciting news...

Gifts 2 is now available for pre-order (through publisher Woodbine House and also through Amazon) and is expected to be released in September, just in time for Down Syndrome Awareness Month.

I haven't mentioned it yet here, but a story I wrote about Miss Bridget will be included in the collection.

I've read many of the other stories already, and am thrilled to be part of this project.

Gifts meant so much to me when Bridget was little. It offered a glimpse into our future and helped me see how other families who were farther along in the journey were thriving or had been able to make sense of it all and head forward with hope and gratitude. It offered our friends and family a sense of comfort for the same reasons. Gifts was truly a gift in itself.

This second volume is a strong follow-up to the first. Go pre-order yourself a copy. Or two. Or three :).


From the publisher:

Acceptance, courage, friendship, awareness, and joy--these are the gifts recounted in more than seventy inspirational essays included in Gifts 2. Edited by Kathryn Lynard Soper, the follow-up to the bestselling Gifts presents a broader perspective on Down syndrome and life by including passionate stories by siblings, grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles, as well as mothers of older children. Friends, teachers, medical professionals, and coaches also share the joys of knowing and caring for someone with Down syndrome.

Like the previous book, Gifts 2 helps us see that the hopes and dreams family and friends have for a child with Down syndrome are similar to the ones we have for any child. And, more often than not, expectations are fulfilled--if not always the way we anticipated they would be. A grandparent, inspired by his grandson's strong will, discovers the ability to persevere and not give up on a job. A brother who assumed he would be the person helping his sibling with Down syndrome describes how often it is the other way around. A young teacher remembers her first student with Down syndrome and it gives her strength and clarity when she is faced with her own child's diagnosis.

This heartfelt collection is a source of comfort to other families, and offers insight to anyone who wonders how people with Down syndrome live today. Give the ultimate gift, share both volumes with family and friends, your child's teacher or pediatrician--help raise public awareness and provide others a point-of-view they might otherwise miss.

8 comments:

  1. That's wonderful that your story about Bridget is going to be in Gifts 2! Can't wait to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very much looking forward to the arrival of this book!! I was given a copy of Gifts when Natie was born, and I carried around with me for 2 weeks and read it over and over again. It inspired me so much! I love your blog, and have really enjoyed reading your stories. Thanks for your comment earlier-it means a lot to me. I've often said, "if I had known then what I know now...I would have done kartwheels out of the doctors office." I guess that's why I wrote what I did under the title of my blog. I truly feel that way. I even told my doctor recently...."you really should be delivering this news with a big grin, you know!" I gave him my blog address, and encouraged him to give it to anyone he has to give a prenatal diagnosis to. I even told him to give his patients my phone number...I'd love to talk to any mom any time anywhere who has a diagnosis and needs a listening ear! That's why we blog like this, right? I love the spirit in which your pages are written...I feel the same way you do.
    Bridget is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting that you are a part of this project. I'm really looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am THRILLED about the book too!! Can't wait to get my hands on it!!! I purposefully didn't read anyone else's stories because I want to devour the book when it come out!!!! Can't wait to read your piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to read this one. Gifts was a huge blessing to Adrian & I after Ainsley was born. Congrats on having your family's story included!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! I'll have to get the book and have you sign it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking forward to reading it. That's great that your family's story is included.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on being selected for the book!! I cant wait to read it : )

    ReplyDelete