Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I Can Bring Home the Bacon...

Columnist and speaker Lori Borgman is hilarious. Her commentary on contemporary life is not only funny, it is directly on point.

Borgman's article "Give us a break, Supersarah" begins, "Sarah Palin exhausts me. Watching her on the tube makes me certain I have iron-poor blood. Staring at all that abounding confidence and endless energy, I grow weaker by the moment." She later adds, "If I find out she bakes her own bread, I may hurt myself."

Politics aside, this article is just plain funny. And, in the end, there's a little plug for the "special needs parents" among us. Check it out.

***

Sarah Palin has been criticized for being on the campaign trail. People across the country have taken it upon themselves to comment and pass judgement on her for everything from her hairstyle to her job as a mother, as well as on many other topics which have little to do with the political landscape of this country. I assume she is a woman who cares about her family and has help with the kids. She has a job, and a family, and is serving this country.

***

Remember the 70's Enjoli perfume commercial with it's catchy theme song "I can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and never, never let you forget you're a man...'cause I'm a woman..." It was the height of feminism, and the song was a rally cry for women everywhere to understand: yes, we can be it all, do it all, & have it all.

Women, men and kids alike are pressed to do (and be) more than ever now. We all do the best we can with what we have, but the challenge to "do it all" flawlessly is larger than ever--for all of us.


**Lori Borgman also wrote "Some Mothers Get Babies with Something More", which is widely circulated among parents of children with a disability diagnosis.

For more, visit Lori Borgman's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment