Friday, September 04, 2009

For Parents With Preschool in Their Future...

I was cleaning out Bridget's backpack (the one she hates) last night and found this at the bottom:

In case you can't tell from the picture, it is a bracelet made with a neon green pipe cleaner and penne pasta.

I don't know why it caught me by surprise, but I had forgotten how all the kids brought cute little crafts home from preschool. I thought I might find some papers and communication from the school or the teacher, but I just wasn't anticipating finding jewelery made out of uncooked pasta in Bridget's butterfly bag.

I can't tell you how delighted I was, or how great--how refreshingly normal--it was to reach into her bag and pull out this little treasure. The best part: she was standing in front of me, smiling and reaching her arm out for me to put it on her wrist. She was proud, and keyed in, and knew just what to do with her creation :).

5 comments:

  1. This is such a heart felt story. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute, I save every piece of artwork Riley brings home from daycare. My favorite are ghost made from her footprints when she was 9 months old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is exactly why I posted my 4.5 month old's picture he drew at school...it's so normal! I was so weary about having to send him (I desperately wished I could stay home but unfortunately we just can't do it), but when he started coming home with these little projects and notes about what they did there, I know that he is being stimulated with lots of different activities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's those little things that touch our hearts :)!!

    ReplyDelete