Tuesday, September 01, 2009

First Day of Preschool

"Do you remember three years ago when she was so tiny in that little hospital bed? We had to put our hands through the little holes on the side so we could touch her. Well, look at her now," Brian said as we drove behind Bridget's bus on the way to her school this morning.

I was already fighting back tears, and that did it. He kept turning to look at me and said a few times, "Mom, are you okay? I think you're feeling the same thing I'm feeling, but maybe even more."

Emmy asked, "Do you think she's okay on the bus? She has never even been in a car before without either you or Dad." She was tearing up, too.

It is getting late, and I'll spare all of you the many details of Bridget's first day of preschool, but the short version is that she was looked after with great care and she made it home in one piece (albeit barefoot and carrying her shoes for some reason). She did not love the bus ride, but was happier on the way home than on the way to the school. Her teachers, aides, therapists and bus driver are all awesome.

The best part of the day was when she got off the bus, threw her arms around me and didn't let go for a long, long time.

Brian hit the nail on the head with his comments on the way to school this morning. I can picture us sitting in the hospital looking at her in her little isolette--wondering where we might be in a few years. We wondered what she would be like, what our lives would be like down the road a little way.

I looked at her today and thought how great is this? (And no, I'm not jumping up and down yet about having a few hours to myself...It was hard to have her away from me). I am so thrilled, though, that she has the opportunity to attend school this year, and that she is fully able to take advantage of the chance. Bridget is healthy, aware and energetic. I am excited to see her grow this year, learn new things, make friends and become more independent.

I'm sure you'll all be hearing more about preschool as we move forward, so I'll close with a few photos:









14 comments:

  1. A big and wonderful step - Bridget looks lovely in her little denim jacket - and so full of possibilities - keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last photo is the face of a living angel. Oh she is so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute is she??! Such a big girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that she had a great first day. You must be so proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a little sweetheart she is! Hooray Bridget.... happy first day!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She looked so adorable on her first day! I completely understand how you feel! I just did it for the first time yesterday for Colin...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear her first day was a success! You must be one proud mama! - And what a cute skirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That cute little skirt is on sale in the Carter's stores for $3.80!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She looks so beautiful on her first day of school. What a big girl. Glad she had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bridget is the cutest! A big milestone for a beautiful little light.

    ReplyDelete
  11. She's stylin'! Go out and conquer the world!

    ReplyDelete
  12. She will love school and she will do GREAT!! {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, heck, I'm teary eyed reading about her first bus ride! And the Big Bus, too!

    ReplyDelete